Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Capulli

In previous posts we have eluded to a preschool where I have been volunteering. The program is located in Colonia Estrella, about a 15-20 minute bus ride up one of the mountains surrounding the city, and then a 3 minute walk straight up a dirt road. Capulli, pronounced ka-pooh-yeah, is a non-governmental group that provides not only the 2nd and 3rd year preschool program (there are aparently 3 years of preschool before kinder), but also some computer classes for families and primary students, tutoring for students in 1st-6th grades, and free breakfast/lunch to program participants. The goals of the program are pretty clear - create an safe and caring educational space for children, where their rights are respected to the utmost. After a conversation with the director today I think I have better sense of what they mean by "rights": right to food, right to not be hit, right to education, right to health, etc. At the forefront of all interactions is amor y carino (love and affection) for children as human beings.

I go in three times a week from 9 - 1:30 and assist the 3rd year preschool teacher. We have anywhere from 19 - 23 students in the classroom on a given day. The routine for the morning starts with a screamed "Buenos dias, ma-es-tras," from the kids (Good morning, teachers!). Then we move right into some teaching and an activity that invariably involves resistol (glue). At 10:15 we begin a process of hand washing before an always delicious meal for almuerzo (lunch). I have to say this thrice weekly exposure to traditional Oaxacan recipes is a definite treat. That an the tortillas and aguas (water, but really juice - hibiscus, tamarind, lime). Then we head back downstairs and all the kids brush their teeth and we start a different activity. At 12:30 we take the kids upstairs to the small play area and await parents who come to pick them up.

So far I have been around for the teaching of different bits of Mexican independence, geometric shapes, and now colors. I am learning so much about working with younger kids and how to be a bit more relaxed in the classroom. I can honestly say I would comfortably give a classroom of preschoolers scissors, crepe paper and glue, some simple directions and let them go crazy - which is really letting loose based on my old classroom. Additionally, I have to say that I am embracing my role as an assistant, letting another adult take the lead teaching and leading activities, being able to leave at the end of the day with much less stress.

That said, my work at Capulli has given me lots to think about: the cultural differences and expectations for behavior in school, teacher professional development, balancing love and care for the kids (which clearly ALWAYS needs to happen) with making sure that they are learning content, social skills education, constructivist education, the impacts of poverty on education, family involvement (one of my favorite themes), pedagogy, early literacy, and the limitations of my Spanish when it comes to breaking up the mini lucha libres that break out among the little boys. (Reminder: lucha libre is the professional wrestling that is HUGE here) As my time at the program continues I hope to talk about more and more of these things with the director, the teacher I assist, other teachers and the cooks.

Enough of my pondering. Let's get to the good stuff - the adorable children. In this picture we have Diego and Salvador hard a work making little balls out of crepe paper to fill in the shapes on their papers. (Diego, on the left, can't pull the paper in to smaller strips so he has to use scissors. Amazing!) Diego, you will also notice, is in a lovely army green suit jacket. The army reference is intentional, as Diego is part of the class flag bearer group. On Mondays, all the preK students gather to salute the flag that Diego and 5 other friends, similarly uniformed, march around with. That is all I have for now. I will try and get some others in the next weeks.

No comments: